The Zonta Club of Pittsburgh, in addressing the recent protests throughout the nation, is committed to working towards a more equitable nation by advocating against all racial discrimination and violence. In our quest to achieve gender equality and empower women and girls, the Zonta Club of Pittsburgh understands that racism can be a multiplier of injustice and we must oppose it forcefully. We will approach that goal by advocating for racial and gender equality in a way that reflects our awareness of the intersectional forces.
~adapted from Caucus representative, Mele Spencer
- Highlight the achievements of women of color equally with those of white women
- Foster a more inclusive and welcoming environment for women of color in our club membership
- Open a dialogue that magnifies the inequities faced by women of color compared to their white sisters
- Stay true to our values and remain steadfast in our mission as we advocate for women worldwide
- Be willing to listen, learn and act
- Engage in writing to our local, state and federal elected representatives to express our reaction to the recent racially charged incidents, include what we want them to do about it
- Speak up whenever she/he hears a comment that is racist. We should foster an environment that allows this to be done in a respectful manner
- Keep apprised of important matters that involve systemic racism
~ Ann Banks, Governor, Zonta District 9
Zonta Club of Pittsburgh
Zonta Club of Pittsburgh is a member of Zonta District 4.
Currently the club meets monthly at The Rivers Club, located at Oxford Centre in downtown Pittsburgh.
Board Meetings are conducted at 5:00, with General Meetings following at 6:00.
Interested in attending a meeting?
Contact Nancy at ZontaClubofPittsburgh@gmail.com.
Zonta Members celebrating Zonta’s 100 Year Anniversary.
Honored to sign the Zonta Flag, January 2020.
Stopping Childhood Marriages
Check out: Pittsburgh’s Women’s Suffrage Centennial page
PAAR (Pittsburgh Action Against Rape)
Donating over 50 jogging suits for rape victims, February 2020
The Spirit of Zontian, Amelia Earhart:
Zonta International is a leading global organization of professionals empowering women worldwide through service and advocacy.
Zonta International envisions a world in which women’s rights are recognized as human rights and every woman is able to achieve her full potential. In such a world, women have access to all resources and are represented in decision making positions on an equal basis with men. In such a world, no woman lives in fear of violence.
Empowering Women Through Service and Advocacy